When you’re in either one of my majors, internships that don’t involve desk work are incredibly hard to find. I don’t want to sit down all day and stare at papers. One on one tutoring, teaching, or activity leading is much more rewarding than grading papers or answering phones.
The qualities in an internship I am looking for include (but are not limited to):
- Tutoring middle or high school aged students
- Teaching small after school groups about topics related to social justice, literature, or peer mediation overseeing
- Creating and leading activities that influence how students see and understand literature, writing, and/or reading
If you know of an available internship position or are offering an internship relating to any of these topics in the Bay Area, please click on “Contact” at the top of this page and submit the information!
Private tutoring or one on one tutoring for your child is sometimes hard to find. You might find a paper with phone numbers on it hanging on a bulletin board somewhere downtown and take one, hoping that your tutor will help your child excel in their classwork. This can be misleading; some people just want to make a quick buck and tutor lower level subjects that they don’t understand. How am I any different? I will only tutor your child in the topics that I am strong in because I have a well rounded knowledge of each.
These topics include:
- Sentence structure (S/V units)
- Reading (Word recognition, fluency, ect.)
- Writing (informative, personal, biographical essays and creative pieces)
- Text analysis (identification of literary devices)
The Pros of hiring me as a private tutor:
- (almost completed) Bachelor’s Degree in English Education and Creative Writing
- 3 years experience tutoring for the Educational Opportunity Program (see résumé)
- Teacher in training
- Great communicator
The Cons of hiring me as a private tutor:
- College student = limited availability
- Limited private tutoring experience
- Withdrawal of lessons with little notice around midterms and finals
If you are in the Bay Area and need a private tutor for your child and are interested in hiring me for the job, please click on “Contact” at the top of this page to inform me of your child’s needs and availability. Prices are negotiable, but I expect travel costs to be covered.
Note: Primary education is a different major, and I fear that I do not have the right skill set to help children younger than middle school ages.